Frank McKenna’s Top Downtown Moments
You will notice a number of ‘lists’ within this celebratory edition of DQ, and I don’t see why I should be left out. So here is my personal list of favourite Downtown moments. It could have been a huge list, but I have kept it to the mandatory ten:
- Interviewing Lord Michael Heseltine in 2010.
- Tony Wilson interviewing James Barton at the very first Downtown event in The Racquet Club, Liverpool in 2004.
- The making of our ‘Relax’ video for the 2008 ‘Livercool’ Awards.
- Steve Broomhead, then chief executive of the Northwest Development Agency, proclaiming that Downtown was ‘the business club with attitude’ at the City of Liverpool Business Awards in 2006.
- The launch of Downtown Manchester at Cloud 23 with Sir Howard Bernstein and 200 Manchester business leaders in 2009.
- The inaugural 2013 Lancashire Business Growth Conference, one of the most dynamic business events I have ever attended – and it was ours!
- John Bishop, who performed at three awards dinners for Downtown before he made his fame and fortune (it’s all down to us).
- The launch of Downtown Leeds in 2012 at a very noisy and challenging Corn Exchange with shadow minister and Leeds West MP Rachel Reeves, and 200 business leaders.
- Manchester’s singing icon Rowetta and her performance at our ’24 Hour Party People’ inaugural ‘City of Manchester Business Awards’ at the spectacular Cathedral in 2011.
- Sexy Networking 2004 onwards, and upwards!
My worst moment? Easy. We booked two tables for twenty people at Anfield to watch the screening of the 2005 Champions League Final. There were 300 others in that bloody room, and only two Evertonians – me and Kevin Sheedy. At Half Time, when Liverpool were 3-0 down to Milan, Kevin and I had the champagne out. By the end of the match, we couldn’t get out of the place quick enough.